Monday, September 19, 2016

Still working on that toolbox


Parenting as an abuse survivor, has been for me, an exhausting trek up the side of a mountain that I had kind of forgotten was there. No time to prep or dress correctly for the hike. No time to build stamina or strength before embarking on the task. It is truly a by the seat of my pants, "you wore the wrong shoes for this" kind of journey.  Only now as a parent do I realize how many safetys and checks and balances I had on myself previously. I worked hard but always took time to rejuvenate. I used art as an outlet for anxiety. In between I kept myself far too busy to ever think about what might be going on inside of me emotionally.

Fast forward four years and I am completely sleep deprived, frazzled, pulled in too many directions. My financial anxiety could paralyze a horse, and somehow I am supposed to be loving, kind, patient and nurturing to two energetic, smart, and sensitive little boys.

 It is amazing to me how the human brain works. How intelligent people can, under duress, have thoughts that are so far from intelligent! Thankfully I recognize them most of the time, before I say stupid hurtful phrases like "why do you always...<insert thing they always do but you shouldn't say that about here>" and "you makes me feel..<insert valid feeling that you have but they should not have to feel like they are responsible for here>". Or the hardest for me "if you don't <   > then I will...<insert random threat that touches their foundation of security and trust here>" But not all of the time, and the guilt that comes after a slip is horrendous.

The best I can say for myself is that I am on a very complex jobsite with a toolbox that I thought I had carefully curated, but really it is full of a bunch of rusted and useless tools at the bottom. Somehow when I am the most stressed and the most tired, those are the tools that come to the top of the box. and it is exhausting to stop and dig for the right one, once it has been buried. 

 What is working now is simplifying. Keep the family bubble small. Limit TV. Minimize alcohol. Cut out caffeine. Get outside, lots. Have a limited toy selection around. Routine is king.  All this is done in an effort to conserve energy and stay grounded both us adults and the kids.  Certainly working with Waldorf has helped immensely, and we take full advantage of their rhythms, natural media aversion, simple toys, lots of outside time, and community oriented school style. Sometimes though I look at the calm parents around me, and calm teachers and wonder where they get this never ending well of calm and patience? Can I even do that? I am by nature a pretty outgoing and impassioned person, so calm usually only comes around when I am sick! The goal though, is to try. Try because they are worth it. Because I am worth it. And I don’t want to be the mom that no one can please, or the mom that is always too busy or too frazzled to sit and read or build.  For me the motto has to be “do what is uncomfortable, because what feels comfortable is probably not quite right”.  In the meantime, I am honest with my kids. “ I was feeling angry, and feeling angry is ok, but yelling is not ok, and I am sorry…" and truly I AM sorry...


No comments:

Post a Comment